Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member altec-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2008
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

    I'm in the process of buying some N1201-8A's xovers for my A7's so as to make them into A7-X's. I thought I might try this as I've had A7-500, A7-800 & A5 (288H, H805 & 515C) and want to try something different from the run of the mill 500Hz xover point and because I haven't tried it. Has any one tried the A7-X or even an A7 at 1200Hz as opposd to the more traditional 500 or 800 xover point.
    I've noticed that in the Altec brochures that the A7-X was only out for a short time from the late 70's to early 80's. Does this mean it was a marketing flop. Anyone got any answers?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

    I have had my A700's at 1200Hz on a N1285-8A passive crossover for over 10 years. My reason is simple . . . the 1200Hz crossover softens the mid-range bump that I do not like. Your ears and/or listening environment will be different.
    Experience is Knowledge

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

    In my last round of tests,(A5's with 1285-8B) I still liked 500hz vs the 800 and 1200 settings.
    This may change with planned revised cabinet porting/flare filling/wing additions etc.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

    Quote Originally Posted by altec-man View Post
    I'm in the process of buying some N1201-8A's xovers for my A7's so as to make them into A7-X's. I thought I might try this as I've had A7-500, A7-800 & A5 (288H, H805 & 515C) and want to try something different from the run of the mill 500Hz xover point and because I haven't tried it. Has any one tried the A7-X or even an A7 at 1200Hz as opposd to the more traditional 500 or 800 xover point.
    I've noticed that in the Altec brochures that the A7-X was only out for a short time from the late 70's to early 80's. Does this mean it was a marketing flop. Anyone got any answers?
    I ran a set at 1200 with the 802G driver but I had the 421 8LF bass driver. Would have sounded a lot better with the 515 or the 416 but I still had fun with these. Can't really give you a comparison of other crossover points as I always ran them at 1200. My current 19's ( factory standard) also run at 1200 & I just love them. They're my keepers for life.
    John

  5. #5
    Inactive Member altec-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2008
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

    I'm going to get new diaphrams, 34647 from GPA as the ones fitted to the 802-8D's are the Symbiotik version which going by the majority of people say on this forum are horrible. As the new diaphragms have a better top end response would I still need a super tweeter even using the HF control on the N1201-8A.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

    It depends. I have 30-band equalizers on my system. These allow me to reduce the "hump" in the mid-range and hear the extended highs. Those folks that do not use equalizers will often add super-tweeters to get the extended highs up to match the mids.

    Either method has its pros and cons. Using an equalizer adds phase shift in the area that is modified. Using the super-tweeter adds phase shift in the overlap area.

    Oh, the crossover adds phase shift at the crossover frequency and will also add phase shift when the HF control is used.

    Any attempt to modify and shape the response with a filter will cause phase shift. Only you can decide what works for you.
    Experience is Knowledge

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A7-X - Lets try something different!!

    Quote Originally Posted by altec-man View Post
    ........the Symbiotik version which going by the majority of people say on this forum are horrible.
    Like so many things it depends on how you use them. I found them better than ultra-lights, etc. in a HIFI app when XO'd to a super tweeter at 7.5 kHz/2nd order IIRC, but couldn't tolerate the 'echo' timing, so stuck with EQ'd HIFI diaphragms since the Symbiotik's HF metallic 'bite' made my teeth hurt.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.